The Best Advice I Can Offer… Ask Plenty of Questions Before You Select a Home Remodeling Contractor to Remodel or Renovate: Your Kitchen, Bathrooms, Basement or to Expand Your Living Area
Hello, my name is Gary Houghton and I set up my company to deliver exceptional customer service and outstanding quality on every project instead of trying to become one of the biggest home remodeling contractors in Central New Jersey.
Your home remodeling or home renovation project should be exciting.
It might also be making you a bit nervous about selecting a company that will deliver on their promises.
- Most people only hire a remodeling company every 10 years and many aren’t sure what questions they should ask before they finalize their selection.
- Unfortunately, there is plenty of negative press about the home remodeling industry so it will pay for you to be diligent in your search and evaluation process.
- I have over 20 years of experience and have been active in the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) . I have met plenty of dedicated professionals over the years and I am pleased to provide you with the following information to help you in evaluating and selecting a professional design build company for your project.
Whether you are thinking about If you’re thinking about enlarging your home with a new master bedroom suite, renovating your entire home, finishing your basement or updating your kitchen or bathrooms these questions will help you.
How Can I Find a Top Remodeling Contractor in Central NJ?
These 16 Questions Will Help You Avoid a Nightmare Project Filled with:
Missed Deadlines, Cost Overruns and Sloppy Workmanship
The following questions were provided to me by Rivers of Revenue LLC – a well-known consulting company for the construction industry. They provide advice and education for homeowners and residential contractors on professional business practices and have been doing that since 2002.
I strongly suggest that you require each contractor to provide their answers in writing and don’t share the answers with any other competitor. It is easy for a contractor to say “sure we will do that” but if they won’t put it in writing you should quickly drop them from consideration.
This may seem like a pain but consider the alternative of living through a nightmare project and then being reminded of it every time you walk in the room and see the sloppy work.
- What is your New Jersey home improvement contractor registration number ?
- What levels and types of insurance does your company carry?
- Have you or any of your partners ever filed for bankruptcy for this or any other construction, home renovation or home remodeling company they owned?
- How many homeowner references will you be providing?
- What professional industry associations are you currently a member of?
- Do you normally provide business letters of reference?
Experience, Service and Operations
- Do you provide 3D-CAD design services?
- Will you provide a fixed price contract with a price guarantee once the scope of my project has been agreed to?
- What details do you normally include in your agreements?
- What employee conduct policies do you have in place?
- What scheduling and project management system do you use?
- How many projects do you normally have going at the same time?
- How many years of experience does the supervisor assigned to my project have and how long have they worked for you?
Service and Follow-through
- How often can I expect to meet with my project supervisor to review my project?
- How many hours a day can I reach you or my supervisor by phone?
- How long is your warranty and what does it cover and what does it exclude?
Naturally, there will be additional questions that you will want to ask however, once you ask these 16 questions and review the written answers from each contractor, it will be pretty clear who the quality contractors are.
I will be happy to provide you with a complete copy of our consumer checklist once we schedule our first meeting. We live by it because we know that it sets a standard that we can be proud of and that the majority of our competitors can’t match. We will also provide you with our written proof of compliance with each question.
If you are comfortable with the information and education I am offering, please call me at (609) 584-8801 to schedule a first meeting.
We Proudly Serve the following Central New Jersey Communities:
Bordentown, Columbus, East Windsor, Hamilton, Hightstown, Princeton, Robbinsville, South Brunswick, and West Windsor.
Read more on how to choose home remodeling contractor near you.